This savory Sweet Potato Gratin is impressed by Pommes Anna, a French dish of creamy, thinly sliced potatoes with wealthy buttery taste topped with melted Gruyere cheese.
Savory Sweet Potato Gratin
There’s no milk or cream on this Sweet Potato Gratin, but the feel is so buttery and creamy whereas retaining it as low calorie as attainable. As an alternative of a saucy gratin with a great deal of cream and energy, these candy potatoes are thinly sliced like Pommes Anna and topped with cheese to make it a traditional gratin. I really like the feel of the tremendous skinny potatoes, and the leftovers are even higher. For extra wholesome gratin recipes, strive my Spinach Gratin, Potato Gratin, and Brussels Sprouts Gratin.
Why This Sweet Potato Au Gratin Recipe Works!
- Lighter and More healthy Than Most Gratins: This candy potato gratin with out cream or milk nonetheless will get good and creamy within the oven. There’s simply sufficient butter to style it and make the dish wealthy.
- Prep Forward: You can also make most of this dish beforehand, so you’ve got much less to do on Thanksgiving. Preserve studying for my ideas for making it upfront!
- Oven to Desk: It’s a fantastic dish that may go from the oven to the desk. Slice it like a pie and let everybody serve themselves.
Sweet Potato Gratin Components
- Sweet Potatoes: Peel two kilos of candy potatoes and slice them as thinly as attainable. I lower them to 1/8-inch thick with a mandolin whereas sporting a lower-resistant glove.
- Butter: Soften two tablespoons of butter.
- Thyme: Chop contemporary thyme leaves.
- Salt and Pepper to season the potatoes
- Cheese: Grated parmesan and Gruyere cheese
Tips on how to Make Sweet Potato Gratin
- Coat the Potatoes with melted butter and season with thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Layer the Potatoes in a gratin or pie dish, urgent them all the way down to hold them at a good thickness.
- Sprinkle each cheeses evenly excessive.
- Bake the Gratin: Spray a bit of foil with oil and canopy the pan with it, oiled-aspect down. Bake the grating for 30 minutes at 425°F, uncover, and bake for one more 15 minutes till the potatoes are tender and the cheese is melted.
- Herbs: Swap thyme with rosemary or sage.
- Potatoes: Substitute Yukon Gold potatoes.
- Cheese: Change out the Parmesan with Pecorino Romano or Gruyere with Swiss.
What’s the gratin approach?
Gratin is a time period for a dish with a breadcrumb or cheese topping that’s baked till crispy. Potato gratin is the preferred, however there are lots of variations with totally different greens, like this fennel gratin, butternut squash gratin, and spinach gratin.
What to Serve with Sweet Potatoes Gratin
This straightforward candy potato gratin could be excellent for Thanksgiving and Christmas or only a common weeknight dinner with a meat and vegetable aspect.
Tips on how to Make Forward
In case you’re internet hosting Thanksgiving, Christmas or any dinner, you’ll be able to prep most of this dish forward of time to make the vacation much less traumatic.
- The day earlier than, bake the dish with out the cheese for 30 minutes. Let it cool and refrigerate it.
- Whenever you’re able to reheat it, cowl it with foil and bake till heat.
- Then prime with cheese and bake for 15 minutes.
Tips on how to Retailer Gratin
Retailer potato gratin in an hermetic container for as much as Four days within the fridge or Three months within the freezer. Microwave leftovers till heat.
Extra Sweet Potato Recipes You’ll Love
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Measurement: 2 /Three cup
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Coat a spherical pie dish or different 6-cup gratin dish with olive oil spray.
Peel the candy potatoes and slice them as thinly as you’ll be able to handle, I did them 1/eighth inch thick with a mandolin. Put the slices in a big bowl and add the melted butter, thyme, salt, and pepper to style. Toss to make certain all of the slices are properly coated.
Take a handful of potatoes and prepare them in a layer on the underside of the baking dish. Preserve including extra layers, one handful of potatoes at a time and as you’re employed, press the potato slices down and attempt to hold them in a good thickness throughout. As soon as all of the slices have been added, press down gently to compact them a bit.
Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese and Gruyere evenly excessive. Spray one aspect of a bit of aluminum foil with olive oil spray and canopy the pan with aluminum foil, oiled-aspect down (to stop the cheese from sticking).
Bake the gratin for 30 minutes. Uncover and proceed to bake till the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife and the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
Let it relaxation for five minutes earlier than slicing and serving.
Please go away a ranking and remark letting us know the way you preferred this recipe! This helps our enterprise to thrive and proceed offering free, excessive-high quality recipes for you.
Serving: 2 /Three cup, Energy: 212 kcal, Carbohydrates: 24 g, Protein: 8 g, Fats: 9.5 g, Saturated Fats: 5.5 g, Ldl cholesterol: 29.5 mg, Sodium: 432 mg, Fiber: 3.5 g, Sugar: 4 g