Learn to make a cherry pie! This simple recipe contains a velvety, almond-scented cherry pie filling and a flaky all-butter crust. It is SO scrumptious!
I’m a cherry pie fanatic. Effectively, truthfully, I’m an all-sorts-of-pie fanatic, however I’ll all the time have a tender spot for cherry pie particularly. For me, it’s a nostalgic deal with. It jogs my memory of visiting my grandma on her farm in Kansas through the summer time after I was a child. She had a grove of tart cherry timber, and if we timed our go to proper, we’d be there when the branches had been heavy with ruby pink fruit. All these bitter cherries meant one factor: we’d be making a do-it-yourself cherry pie. Possibly two, if we had been fortunate.
This bitter cherry pie recipe relies on hers. It contains a buttery, flaky crust and a velvety, almond-scented filling. In case you permit it to chill fully, it slices fantastically, however the filling nonetheless stays a tiny bit juicy so to savor the feel of the scrumptious summer time fruit.
Only a heads up: the pie dough has to sit back and the filling has to chill earlier than you may assemble and bake the pie. So, although the recipe is simple to make, it does take a while. If you wish to get forward, you may make each the crust and the filling a day or two prematurely – discover my suggestions within the submit beneath. I hope you’re keen on this cherry pie recipe as a lot as I do!
Cherry Pie Recipe Elements
Right here’s what you’ll have to make this cherry pie recipe:
- Cherries, in fact! Skip the candy cherries! Tart cherries, additionally known as bitter cherries, are finest on this recipe. Nowadays, I principally use frozen cherries in my pie filling, as they’re available yr-spherical. Plus, they prevent the work of pitting the cherries your self. You probably have easy accessibility to contemporary bitter cherries, although, they’ll work right here too. You’ll want 2 kilos after you pit them, about 5 cups.
- Cornstarch and water – They create a slurry that thickens the cherry pie filling.
- Cane sugar – It sweetens the tart cherry filling.
- Cinnamon and floor ginger – For heat depth of taste.
- Almond extract – In line with my grandma, it’s a cherry pie important! I like the almond taste with the cherries, too.
- Homemade pie crust – Discover my flaky all-butter pie crust recipe right here! You possibly can substitute retailer-purchased pie dough in a pinch.
- An egg – You’ll beat it with a little bit water to make an egg wash for the crust.
- Coarse sugar – Non-compulsory, however scrumptious. It provides sparkle and sweetness to the highest of the crust.
- And vanilla ice cream – For serving.
Discover the entire recipe with measurements beneath.
Learn how to Make Cherry Pie Filling
The important thing to creating a fantastic cherry pie filling is thickening the cherry juices on the range earlier than you add the filling to the pie. This simple step will reduce the quantity of juice that seeps into the underside crust and results in sogginess. It’ll additionally assist the pie slice properly as soon as it cools. Right here’s how I make my filling:
- Begin with 2 kilos of thawed frozen cherries. Place the cherries in a strainer set over a bowl to seize their juices. Measure 1 cup of the juice. In case you don’t have 1 cup, microwave the cherries for 15 seconds or so, and they’ll launch extra juice. Repeat till you will have 1 cup of cherry juice. Save any further for an additional use.
- Then, make a cornstarch slurry. In a small bowl, whisk collectively the cornstarch and water till clean.
- Subsequent, thicken the juices. Place the 1 cup cherry juice in a small saucepan and carry to a boil. Stir within the sugar and return the combination to a boil. As soon as the sugar dissolves, add the cornstarch slurry and stir till the combination thickens. It’ll turn into clear, clean, and shiny.
- Lastly, combine up the filling. Switch the thickened cherry juices to a big bowl with the cherries. Stir within the spices, almond extract, and a pinch of salt.
Then, permit the filling to chill fully. In case you’ve ever made do-it-yourself pie dough, that the secret is retaining it chilly till it goes within the oven. To assist maintain it chilly, we wish to add a cool filling to it, not a heat one. Plus, letting the filling cool will give it an opportunity to thicken much more. At this stage, the thicker, the higher!
Assembling the Pie
So, you’ve made the cherry pie filling, and it’s cooled fully. You’ve made the pie dough, and it’s chilled for at the very least two hours. It’s time to assemble the pie!
First, roll out the crust in keeping with the directions on this recipe. Stick it within the fridge to sit back for 30 minutes.
In the meantime, preheat the oven. Organize a rack within the backside third of the oven, and set a baking sheet on it. Preheat the oven to 425°F with the baking sheet inside it.
Then, assemble the pie! Pour the cooled filling into the underside crust.
Subsequent, weave a lattice on high. Slice the highest crust into 1-inch strips. Organize Four or 5 strips crosswise excessive of the pie. Weave Four or 5 strips via them to make a lattice.
Pull again the strips as essential to weave.
Trim the perimeters of the lattice, then fold the sting of the underside crust up and over it in order that the sting of the dough is consistent with the sting of your pie plate.
Crimp the dough along with your fingers or a fork.
Brush the egg wash onto the lattice. Tip: JUST the lattice! The sides of the dough will brown on their very own, so there’s no have to brush it onto them.
Sprinkle on the coarse sugar.
Lastly, bake. Place the pie on the preheated baking sheet within the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, then scale back the warmth to 375°F and bake till the filling is effervescent and the crust is golden brown.
Now for the arduous half! Permit the pie to chill fully earlier than you slice it. This may take about Four hours. It may be arduous to withstand digging in immediately, however permitting the pie to chill totally is CRUCIAL for getting a clear slice.
Straightforward Cherry Pie Recipe Ideas
- Hold the pie dough chilly. If you bake an all-butter pie crust, you need the butter within the pie dough to soften within the oven, creating beautiful flaky layers. You don’t need the butter to soften earlier than the pie is within the oven. If it does, these tasty layers received’t occur. So, for the most effective outcomes, maintain the dough chilly when you assemble the pie. Chill it for at the very least 2 hours earlier than rolling it out. I additionally like to sit back the dough for 30 minutes after I roll it out and be sure the filling is totally cool earlier than including it to the pie.
- Bake the pie on a scorching baking sheet within the decrease third of your oven. I acquired this tip from Melissa Clark over at The New York Occasions. The underside crust of a fruit pie is famously vulnerable to sogginess. Setting the pie straight onto a preheated baking sheet helps the underside crust brown, as does positioning the pie within the decrease third of the oven. In most ovens, the heating components run alongside backside, so inserting the pie on a low rack brings the underside crust nearer to the warmth supply.
- Tent the pie with foil if it’s getting too brown. Your cherry pie is prepared when the crust is golden brown and the filling has been effervescent for a number of minutes. If the crust is getting too brown earlier than the filling is effervescent, tent it with foil to reduce extra browning.
- Permit the pie to chill fully earlier than you slice it. In case you slice and serve the pie whereas it’s nonetheless heat, the filling will ooze out of the crust. For a clear slice, let it cool fully, for about Four hours, after you are taking it out of the oven.
Greatest Cherry Pie Serving and Storing Solutions
This cherry pie is finest on the day that it’s baked, nevertheless it retains properly for as much as Three days. Cowl it and retailer it at room temperature till you polish off the final slice, ideally with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
If all of the cooling and chilling time looks as if lots for in the future, you may make each the pie dough and the filling prematurely. Wrapped tightly in plastic, the pie dough retains effectively within the fridge for as much as 2 days. Saved in an hermetic container within the fridge, the cooked filling retains effectively for as much as 4. With each prepped forward of time, it’s simple to assemble, bake, and cool (and eat!) the pie in in the future.
Get pleasure from!
Extra Favourite Fruity Desserts
In case you love this cherry pie recipe, strive one in every of these fruity desserts subsequent:
This bitter cherry pie recipe is a scrumptious summer time dessert, although it could possibly simply be made with frozen cherries at any time of yr. You should definitely permit the pie to chill fully earlier than you slice it, at the very least Four hours, in order that the filling has an opportunity to arrange. To get forward, you may make the pie dough and the cherry pie filling a day or two prematurely. See the submit above for suggestions! This recipe makes 1 9- or 9.5-inch pie.
- 2 kilos frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed, juices reserved
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon floor ginger
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 recipe Pie Crust, chilled at the very least 2 hours
- 1 massive egg
- Coarse sugar, non-obligatory
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Place the cherries in a strainer set over a bowl to seize any extra juices. Measure 1 cup of the cherry juice to make use of within the pie.* Save any remaining juice for an additional use. Switch the cherries to a big bowl.
In a small bowl, stir collectively the cornstarch and ¼ cup of the water till clean. Put aside.
Place the 1 cup cherry juice in a small saucepan and carry to a boil. Add the sugar, stir, and return the combination to a boil. When the sugar is dissolved, add the water and cornstarch and stir till the combination thickens and turns into clear and shiny. Take away the pan from the warmth and pour the combination over the cherries. Stir within the cinnamon, ginger, almond extract, and salt. Permit to chill fully.
Make the underside crust. Observe the directions within the pie crust recipe to roll out the underside crust, leaving a ½-inch overhang on all sides of the pie plate. Loosely cowl with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Organize an oven rack within the backside third of the oven. Place a baking sheet on the rack and preheat the oven to 425°F with the baking sheet inside it.
In the meantime, make the highest crust. Use the identical methodology to roll out the remaining pie dough into a big, ⅛-inch-thick circle. Switch it to a baking sheet, loosely cowl it with plastic wrap, and place within the fridge till the underside crust has chilled for 30 minutes.
Assemble the pie. In a small bowl, whisk collectively the egg and the remaining 1 tablespoon water. Put aside.
Take away the underside crust from the fridge and pour within the cooled filling. Switch the highest crust to a reducing board and use a pointy knife or pizza cutter to chop it into 1-inch strips. Evenly house Four to five strips crosswise over the pie. Weave Four to five extra strips via the crosswise strips to create a lattice, pulling again the unique strips as essential to weave. Trim the perimeters of the lattice, then fold the perimeters of the underside crust up and over it in order that the sting of the dough is consistent with the sting of your pie plate. Crimp the dough along with your fingers or a fork to seal.
Brush the lattice with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if utilizing. Place the pie on the recent baking sheet within the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, then scale back the warmth to 375°F and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or till the crust is golden brown and the filling has been effervescent for a number of minutes. If the perimeters of the crust begin to brown an excessive amount of earlier than the filling is effervescent, tent them with foil and proceed baking till the filling bubbles.
Permit to chill fully earlier than slicing and serving, at the very least Four hours.
Serve with vanilla ice cream.
*In case you shouldn’t have 1 cup juice, microwave the cherries for 15 seconds, and they’re going to launch extra. Repeat till you will have 1 cup juice. Save any further juice for an additional use.