The jig is up, expensive readers. I put beets in a cake. The outcomes are excellent. The beets impart this Chocolate Beet Cake with magic sweetness, crazy-intense moisture, and a beautiful, delicate crimson tone that’s a nod to crimson velvet cake.
I thought of titling this recipe “chocolatier crimson velvet cake” and retaining the “b” phrase out, for worry that you’d be utterly offended by it, however this appeared unfair to beets.
In any case, carrot cake (just like the Kitchen Sink Carrot Cake in my cookbook and this Gluten Free Carrot) enjoys love and esteem. Why not a beet cake?
- Each root greens are naturally candy, making them ultimate for baking desserts.
- Each make the cake extra moist and tender.
- Additionally, each ensuing muffins could be slathered with cream cheese icing (which for a lot of of you I do know is the purpose).
This moist chocolate beetroot cake is my reply to crimson velvet cake, which supplies me a quantitative response of meh.
- It’s not chocolate. And it’s not vanilla.
- It’s probably not something in any respect, apart from a automobile for cream cheese frosting and a extremely great way to make use of up a whole bottle of crimson meals coloring.
Now, earlier than you go off in protection of crimson velvet, let me ask you this: is it the cake you like or the cream cheese frosting?
9 out of 10 occasions, the reply I obtain is “the frosting.”
If we’re consuming cake, we should always love each the cake AND the frosting!
As we speak’s chocolate beet cake is what I wished crimson velvet tasted like.
- The chocolate in our in our chocolate beet cake is extra prevalent than crimson velvet, nevertheless it doesn’t overwhelm.
- If you need a chocolate cake that slowly satisfies, relatively than instantly smacks with its richness (like Mocha Cake or Flourless Chocolate Torte), it’s excellent.
- It tastes UH-MAZING with cream cheese frosting.
YOU CANNOT TASTE THE BEETS.
I actually can not overstate this sufficient (we’re making CAKE, not Beet Salad or a Beet Smoothie).
5 Star Evaluation
“All of my 5 kids and husband cherished it and raved over it! It’s tremendous moist. Actually good taste and texture. Will certainly make once more! Yum yum yum!!”
— Erin —
The best way to Make Chocolate Beet Cake
Probably the most cussed of beet haters, dessert purists, and even red-velvet devotees will discover this beet cake irresistible.
- Beets. The sneaky star of the present! With pure sweetness and delightful coloration, beets are a surprisingly glorious wholesome baking ingredient. Skeptics, worry not: their hallmark earthiness is masked by the chocolate.
- Flour. I used all-purpose flour and entire wheat pastry flour for this cake. The entire wheat flour is imperceptible, nevertheless it provides a delicate dietary enhance.
- Chocolate. Unsweetened chocolate offers the cake that unmistakable, craveable deep chocolate richness.
- Oil. Canola oil helps make this cake supremely moist.
- Eggs. Eggs are key for an ideal beet cake texture.
- Sugar. Provides sweetness and helps maintain the cake moist.
- Greek Yogurt. Nonfat Greek yogurt acts as a tangy stability to the sweetness, and it helps make the cake fluffy and moist. The additional enhance of protein doesn’t damage both!
- Vanilla. Enhances the general taste of the cake.
- Cream Cheese Glaze. Vanilla cream cheese glaze turns this cake into one thing actually particular.
- Roast and puree the beets.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt collectively.
- Soften the chocolate.
- Beat the eggs and sugar collectively in a bowl. Stir in a part of the moist elements and beets.
- Stir within the dry elements.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake chocolate beet cake at 375 levels F for 45 minutes. Let cool utterly on a wire rack.
- Put together the glaze. Drizzle it over the cake. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Cowl and refrigerate leftover cake for as much as Four days.
- To Freeze. Wrap the cake tightly with plastic wrap and freeze in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as Three months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
Wash, bake, peel, chop, and puree the beets as much as 1 day prematurely. Cowl and refrigerate the pureed beets till you’re prepared to complete the recipe.
Oat Milk Ice Cream
Really useful Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Greatest Meals Processor
With the power to cut, knead, combine, and puree, this meals processor can help you with so many alternative recipes. It additionally has dishwasher-safe elements.
Beet cake is that yogi grasp of the chocolate cake world, balancing simple chocolate bliss, outrageous moisture, and a luscious gilding of cream-cheese frosting with gentle texture and style.
It’s sudden, undeniably scrumptious, and my choose for this yr’s greatest Valentine’s Day dessert.
Continuously Requested Questions
Sure, you’ll be able to swap the entire wheat pastry flour for all-purpose flour for those who want.
Chocolate lovers, you’ll be able to swap the cream cheese glaze on this recipe for a melted chocolate drizzle or chocolate glaze as a substitute.
Whereas I haven’t tried making this recipe into cupcakes myself, different readers have completed so with success. Bake the cupcakes at 350 levels F for about 18-20 minutes. Be sure to watch them fastidiously in the direction of the tip of baking time to keep away from overcooking.
For the Cake:
- 3 medium beets, stems and tails eliminated
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup canola oil divided
- 3 giant eggs
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 3 ounces lowered fats cream cheese (Neufchatel) softened
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar sifted, plus additional if wanted
- 2 tablespoons milk plus additional if wanted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 400 levels F.
Wash beets and place in a small roasting pan with 1/2 cup water. Cowl and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or till simply pierced with a fork. Dunk the beets in cool water, then utilizing your fingers, slip off the peels. Coarsely chop, then switch to a blender or meals processor and puree. Measure out 2 cups and put aside.
Scale back the oven temperature to 375 levels F. Frivolously coat a 10-cup Bundt or tube pan with oil and dirt with flour. In a big bowl, sift collectively the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat pastry flour, baking soda, and salt. Put aside.
In a double boiler or a small pan over low warmth, add the chocolate and 1/Four cup of the oil. Warmth simply till the chocolate melts. Take away from the warmth and stir till nicely mixed. Put aside.
In a big mixing bowl, beat collectively the eggs and sugar till fluffy. Slowly add the remaining 1/Four cup oil, Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, the chocolate combination, and the two cups beet puree.
Gently add the flour combination, stirring by hand simply till mixed.
Pour the batter into the ready pan.
Bake for 45 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted close to the middle comes out clear. Switch the pan to a wire rack to chill for 30 minutes. Run a skinny knife alongside the outer and internal edges of the pan and punctiliously invert the cake onto the wire rack. Let it cool utterly earlier than glazing.
For the glaze: Beat collectively the cream cheese and powdered sugar till easy and light-weight. Beat within the milk and vanilla extract. If desired, add a bit extra milk or powdered sugar as wanted to achieve your required glaze consistency. Drizzle over the cake, letting it run excessive and sides.
- *SERVING SIZE NOTE: With the intention to make a cake sized for 2, I halved the recipe and baked it for 30 minutes in a 5-cup Bundt pan.
- TO STORE: Cowl and refrigerate leftover cake for as much as Four days.
- TO FREEZE: Wrap the cake tightly with plastic wrap and freeze in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as Three months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1(of 10)Energy: 458kcalCarbohydrates: 66gProtein: 8gFats: 20gSaturated Fats: 6gPolyunsaturated Fats: 4gMonounsaturated Fats: 10gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 54mgPotassium: 362mgFiber: 4gSugar: 42gVitamin A: 142IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 60mgIron: 4mg
Be part of at present and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.
Crimson Wine Truffles
Truffles & Cupcakes
Truffles & Cupcakes