We’re so prepared for fall over right here and to kick it off I’m right here to convey you one thing tremendous recent and bursting with a mixture of candy, tangy and salty flavors. AKA a scrumptious taste explosion you received’t be capable of get sufficient of.
Kale salad recipes, in my view, get a foul rap, however this brussels sprouts kale apple salad has crisp greens, juicy honeycrisp apples, tangy & creamy gorgonzola cheese, and a crunchy nut & seed combination. Take all of that, toss it in a lightweight, completely candy maple cider dressing and also you’ve received your self a rattling good fall and winter salad.
Not solely is that this salad an exquisite meal prep lunch, however it’s additionally the right facet dish for the vacations (sure, we’re fascinated by Thanksgiving already!)
Give this beautiful salad a strive the following time you want some lunch inspo, and be happy to customise it with totally different proteins and fall produce! You’ll make this one repeatedly, promise.
FREE Final Thanksgiving Information (+ printable guidelines!)
Whether or not you’re internet hosting or simply attending, this Final Thanksgiving Information e mail sequence is for everybody. Enter your e mail beneath to get all of my greatest recipes, ideas, and a FREE printable guidelines for your whole Thanksgiving wants.
The whole lot you’ll must make this brussels sprouts kale apple salad
This deliciously crunchy kale apple salad is full of all the textures and flavors you crave. Candy, tangy, salty and oh-so addicting. Plus, kale is a superfood, so this salad is further particular. Right here’s all the pieces you’ll must make it:
- For the dressing: we’re utilizing a lightweight, candy & tangy maple cider French dressing made with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, pure maple syrup, grainy dijon mustard, salt & pepper.
- For the salad: you’ll want brussels sprouts, kale, crimson or inexperienced cabbage, apples (I really like honeycrisp the most effective!), crimson onion, dried cranberries or cherries and tangy gorgonzola crumbles.
- For the nut & seed crunch: we’re making a candy and salty topping with pecans, pumpkin seeds, maple syrup and salt. SO GOOD.
Straightforward methods to customise
You may really make this brussels sprouts kale apple salad your individual with some easy elements swaps. Right here’s what we advise:
- Select the cheese. In case you’re not a fan of gorgonzola, be happy to make use of goat cheese, feta cheese, shredded parmesan and even white cheddar cheese. They may all nonetheless be scrumptious.
- Select your fruit. I really like utilizing honey crisp apples however fuji, pink woman, and so forth. work simply as effectively. Pears would even be good on this salad! They may break down extra within the salad, so in the event you use them it’s greatest to eat the salad instantly. I additionally assume pomegranate seeds could be stunning within the salad.
- Make it vegan and/or paleo. Merely omit the cheese.
- Go nut free. You may as well use further pumpkin seeds as a substitute of pecans. Straightforward!
Add an exquisite seasonal twist
This brussels sprouts kale apple salad would even be superb with diced, roasted butternut squash or candy potatoes. About 2 cups ought to do the trick — make sure to try our information for roasting the most effective butternut squash right here!
Wanting so as to add a lift of protein?
With the nuts and cheese included on this kale apple salad you’ll really get virtually 9g of protein per serving, however cooked, chopped rooster breast, roasted chickpeas and even bacon could be a scrumptious means so as to add much more protein! Bonus factors in the event you double the dressing and use it as a marinade for the rooster. YUM.
You possibly can additionally maintain it vegetarian by including a can of chickpeas or by utilizing roasted chickpeas.
Suggestions for utilizing kale in salads
Uncooked kale leaves are a lot more durable than a leafy inexperienced like spinach, so don’t overlook the following tips for making kale salads:
- Chop it small. Make sure to chop it very finely in order that the bites aren’t too massive. Use a pointy knife or salad chopper, or pulse the kale just a few occasions in a meals processor.
- Therapeutic massage it. Add the maple cider dressing to your bowl with the kale, brussels sprouts & cabbage first and toss all of it collectively rather well. You may even do that together with your arms and “therapeutic massage” the dressing in in order that all the kale and crunchy veggies are effectively coated.
- Let it marinate. You’ll then need to let the dressed kale, brussels sprouts and cabbage sit for a bit (whilst you make the nut & seed combination) in order that the veggies absorb all the taste.
The perfect methods to shred brussels sprouts
Together with finely chopping up your kale, you’ll additionally must shred all of these brussels sprouts. Listed here are Three simple methods to do it:
- Use a meals processor: trim the small stem off of the brussels sprouts and add them to your meals processor a couple of handful or so at a time. Use the slicing attachment in your meals processor and pulse till they’re good and shredded.
- Use a field grater: you’ll be able to shred your brussels sprouts in opposition to a field grater on the facet with the most important holes. I’d counsel spraying the grater with a little bit of cooking spray in order that the sprouts simply glide in opposition to the grater.
- Shred them with a knife: that is the strategy I usually use, and when you get the dangle of it it can go fairly rapidly. Utilizing a pointy knife minimize the stem off of your brussels sprouts after which minimize them in half lengthwise. Then, with every half laying flat facet down, chop your brussels sprouts into positive shreds. No want for them to be good!
Retailer this brussels sprouts apple salad for later
As a result of this salad is crammed with crunchy veggies, it can really be scrumptious over the course of some days after it marinates within the dressing! Retailer any leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 4-5 days. The nuts will soften a bit over time, so in the event you’re prepping this salad forward of time I’d advocate leaving the nut combination off till you’re able to serve.
Extra salad recipes you’ll love
Get all of our scrumptious salad recipes right here!
I hope you like this crunchy brussels sprouts kale apple salad recipe! In case you make it make sure to depart a remark and a score so I understand how you appreciated it. Get pleasure from, xo!
Brussels Sprouts Kale Honeycrisp Apple Salad with Maple Cider Dressing
Candy & crunchy brussels sprouts kale apple salad with a lightweight maple cider dressing. This stunning, fall-inspired kale apple salad has great flavors and textures from tangy gorgonzola, dried cranberries and a pecan pumpkin seed crunch combination. Benefit from the good lunch or facet dish all season lengthy!
- For the maple cider dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, relying on how candy you want your salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon grainy dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly floor black pepper
- For the salad:
- 8 ounces brussels sprouts, stems and outer yellow leaves eliminated
- 2 cups very finely chopped kale, stems eliminated
- 1 cup shredded crimson or inexperienced cabbage
- 2 medium-large honeycrisp apples, sliced
- ¼ of a crimson onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries (or sub dried cherries)
- 1/3 cup gorgonzola crumbles*
- For the salted pecan pumpkin seed crunch:
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the elements for the dressing: olive oil, apple cider vinegar, pure maple syrup, dijon mustard, minced garlic, salt and freshly floor black pepper. Style and add slightly extra maple syrup in the event you like a sweeter dressing.
Subsequent, shred your brussels sprouts: shave the brussels sprouts by utilizing a meals processor with the slicing attachment and pulse till the brussels sprouts are thinly sliced. In case you don’t have a meals processor, be happy to make use of a pointy knife to thinly slice. Add shredded brussels sprouts to a big bowl.
Within the massive bowl with the brussels sprouts, add the shredded kale and cabbage and pour dressing over. Use tongs or clear arms to combine all the pieces collectively for 1-2 minutes. It might appear lengthy however this helps to interrupt down the kale and evenly distribute the flavour of the dressing. Permit it to take a seat and marinate whilst you make the pecan pumpkin seed crunch.
To make the pumpkin pecan crunch: place pecans and pumpkin seeds in a skillet over medium warmth. Toast for 3-5 minutes, stirring continuously till they flip barely golden brown and aromatic, then flip off warmth and instantly add in maple syrup and a pinch of sea salt. Stir for 30 extra seconds to coat, then switch to a plate or piece of parchment paper to chill for a couple of minutes. A few of the nuts will barely stick collectively however that is what we wish for the ‘nut crunch’ within the salad. Permit to chill for five minutes.
Add the sliced apples, crimson onion and dried cranberries/cherries and gorgonzola to the salad and toss to mix. Sprinkle the nut combination on prime and toss once more. In case you are serving the salad later, I like to recommend leaving the nut combination out till you might be able to serve so it stays good and crunchy. Get pleasure from!
Including 2 cups of diced roasted butternut squash or candy potatoes to this salad is scrumptious!
Pears could be a wonderful sub for the apples. They may break down extra within the salad although so it’s greatest to eat instantly.
To make it vegan: omit the gorgonzola.
To make it nut free: use further pumpkin seeds as a substitute of pecans.
Serving: 1serving (primarily based on 4)Energy: 401calCarbohydrates: 36.6gProtein: 8.6gFats: 27.5gSaturated Fats: 5.1gFiber: 7.3gSugar: 24.2g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Images by: Eat Love Eats
This submit was initially printed on September eighth, 2021, republished on December 19th, 2022, and republished September 19th, 2023.